Service on Demand
Service on demand (SoD) is a service model whereby a vendor provides service support remotely. Under this model:
- Services are tailored for remote use
- Multiple clients can be served
- Payment is charged as a monthly subscription fee or on a per-transaction basis
- Service upgrades are seamless and transparent to clients
Under SoD, clients rent the service. Thus, in contrast to the traditional payment scheme, clients incur relatively small recurrent expenses, eliminating the need to invest substantial funds to purchase services and ensure their efficiency. The periodic payment scheme assumes that if there is no need for the service, the client may suspend its use and freeze payments to the provider.
The SoD model helps reduce the deployment costs of technical and advisory support, though it does not eliminate these costs completely.
The SoD model offers the following key features:
- Services are provided through network channels centrally and publicly
- Services are provided on a rental basis, with periodic payments
- Technical support costs are usually included in the cost of service